Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Monday, November 24, 2014

One last word on TWOs



Only slightly overdue at 10 days past his birthday…. and I still haven't put a post together in my mind. I have no idea how to sum up two, my most favorite age, into a little blog post -and how to fully embrace three. I might get around to writing more on that later… but for now… TWO.

I've spent a lot of time working the two year old scene. It was always my favorite at the daycare and I've never met a two year old that isn't pure awesome. It's a pretty great year.

And for B, that was no exception. I can count on my fingers the number of days B experienced the 'terrible twos' and mostly, every other day of two was pretty flippin' fantastic. Seriously.

TWO brought…..

Crazy development in the language area. He's pretty much a jabber box. (We have no idea where he gets it….) ;) He carries on full conversations with complete strangers and most people can understand him pretty easily (even over the phone which has been a great thing for him).

More growth. He's over 40" tall (do you know I left his three year check and didn't even ask how tall he was when they measured him? They forgot to give me his sheet so when R asked his current stats… I had no idea) and around 37lbs (I don't actually remember that number either… bad mom).

Potty training. He pretty much started the process on his own right before he even turned two. He had a setback in there but was completely out of diapers by the beginning of this year (except for bedtime), then stopped making messes in those diapers this summer (I wasn't sure that part would ever come… ugh). Currently, he will go into a public restroom, lock the door, use the restroom, pull his pants back up, come out, and wash his hands… all without his mama's help. It wasn't a big deal when he was doing this at home in sweat pants but he started doing it in public in jeans (those are hard to get up, right?) and it about did me in. He should not be that big.

Social growth. He loves spending time with his friends and he talks about them all the time. He has favorite buddies, favorite neighbors, favorite babysitters, favorite babies at Ms Kelli's, etc. He talks about all these people and his cousins and other family all the time. He often asks to FaceTime and/or text different people. He has gotten so much better at sharing- he's totally becoming empathetic and I love seeing that trait in him. He already loves his sister fiercely and it warms my heart so much. He is a total little lover. He randomly will say, 'Hey mommy. (Pause for me to say, yes.) I love you.' It pretty much melts my heart ever time. He's started saying it to other people too and it's so fun to hear him tell people he loves them (out of the blue, without prompting). Even if I wasn't super biased, I would tell you he's the sweetest/loviest little boy I've ever met.

Cognitive. Two is obviously a sponge age and was no different for B. He soaks up seriously every thing around him. He spends more than 90% of his time with me and he still randomly tells me about things I have no idea where he learned them. Awhile back we were throwing our stuff away at the BBQ place and B saw the recycling logo. He told us that bin was just for recyclables and explained that whole thing to us. One of my favorite things is asking him to recount his days or to tell me about what he learned at Sunday School or what he did while he was with someone else (babysitter, grandma, cousins, etc). He tells the best stories and doesn't leave out many details. I would guess about 90% of his stories are pretty accurate. Sometimes… the 10% that's not? When he gets caught or wants to do something naughty and tries to get away with it. Not long ago he put his hands/arm into a gun shape and was pretending to 'shoot up' everybody in the house. His dad said we don't point guns or pretend guns at people. He said, 'Uh huh aunt Kerry said I can do it.' When we texted her for the rest of the story and told him her response he totally knew he had been caught. The look on his face when he said, 'whoops..' was priceless. He 'reads' several books from memorization right now. And can 'read' several baby board books (he reads them to his sister… awwww…). He knows all of his colors and numbers and usually all of his letters (if we don't keep working on those often, he forgets them pretty quick). He can count as high as he wants (ha)… Typically that number is 0. But if you give him an incentive to count for something he can count to the teens. (I'm also told he counts for other people when his mama isn't around. Of course.) You can tell his mama is a teacher as he gets his teacher voice out with his toys, dog, friends and even me. I'll ask him a question which he'll follow up with a question for me (cause I totally do that to him all the time).

More chores. We added to his chore list and it now includes more cleaning, putting dishes away out of the dish washer, taking Dakota out and feeding Dakota. He can do SO much around the house now, it's almost sad because he's so big to be doing all of that. He LOVES to help out and is always asking for things to do. He worked in the local clothing pantry all last week and was quite the little worker guy. He had a couple jobs down really well. He also loves to cook in the kitchen. He has his favorite smoothie recipes memorized and will gather all the ingredients up and get everything ready.


Highlights of the year….

13-14 Basketball season… this is fresh on my mind as we start a new year of it. Last year he sat through entire games and did awesome! This year (so far) hasn't proved to be as great. Hopefully he gets back into the grove of that soon.

Kansas City Christmas. Not long after his birthday last year, we met up with family in Kansas City for a super fun weekend. Not long after that, we stayed at a water park with the other side of the family and this might be where his hotel obsession began (he got to stay at several throughout the year).

Lots of weddings. Aunt Mal, Uncle Trav, Papa Kevin, Zach C. He even got to be a ring bearer for a couple of them! At Zach's wedding, he partied all night long. He would have made it to midnight but his mama tapped out about a quarter till. The following week he told us he was a 'party animal.' He has another wedding to go to next spring and he's already asking about it.

Too many visits to the hospital. B himself only had two Dr visits his entire year of two (and he requested both of them). He somehow managed to stay super healthy that year (praying for more of the same this year!). Lots of people he loves though spent too much time in the hospital and he became pretty familiar with a couple of the area hospitals. He can spot them a mile away now and if you pull into a parking ramp he assumes you're at a hospital.

Another flight to Aunt Mal's in Arizona (for the wedding). He loves flying and every time he sees a plane or sees people flying on tv he asks if he can go to Aunt Mal's.

A summer vacation. We road tripped with grandma to Chicago, Indiana Dunes, and Michigan. He became OBSESSED with hotels on this trip (we did stay in some pretty nice ones!). That was in July and there literally hasn't been a full week since that he hasn't asked to go to a hotel.

100 Parks! He became a playground legend. It was pretty much the best idea ever. (Thanks, Molly!) Story times at the library (his fave), lots of free music classes (we try to hit up every demo class that's offered in the area), and super fun play dates (he has the best friends). We didn't make it to the zoo as many times as the previous year (we won't likely buy a pass this coming year). We tried to get to the orchard as often but got a little and only made it a handful of times (still super fun though). He rode Thomas the Train. He visited a Children's Museum. He went to some baseball games (Chicago Cubs, I Cubs, and whichever spring training game it was we went to in Phoenix…). He did his first NBA game (much to his daddy's delight), a pre-season Golden State Warriors game here at Wells. Completed his first official Easter egg hunt. Competed in his first official race (the turkey trot), Rode his first tractor (with grandpa). Ate his first dutch letter while on his first Pella visit. Dressed up like Buzz a hundred times. A super hero about as many times. Finally started (kind of) posing for pictures for me. Got upset watching mommy and daddy zipline (I don't blame him!). Loved every trip he took to Ledges state park. Started memorizing and making up dances to all his favorite songs. Attended his first Slater 4th of July festivities (our little family at the fireworks was one of my most favorite memories of the year). Explored down town Des Moines. Loved visiting the sculpture park (a few times). Had his first Snookies ice cream cone (mine too). Started praying without prompt. Gained an amazing Jesus story. Discovered Jester Park. Had a blast at the Iowa State Fair. Discovered amusement park rides. Went to not enough (in his eyes) ISU football games. Rode another pony. Started sleeping in a big boy bed! Dressed up as Tic Toc Croc for Halloween. Then Max the following day (because he was tired of being mistaken for a dragon…).

Whew. I'm sure I'm forgetting a whole lot in there… but two- you sure were awesome.

B- I had such a great year with you little buddy. I LOVE watching you grow and learn and I love seeing more of your little personality shine through all of the time. You have such a tender heart and you are so sweet and loving. You're a little wild man too though. Your silly antics keep me laughing all day, every day. You kind of think you're funny too… You have the BEST giggle that turns into the best deep belly laugh. You smile with your whole self (you have since you were a tiny baby). You give the best bear hugs and you're definitely my best boy. (You always like to remind me daddy is my best boy too.) :) I love that your favorite color is green 'because mommy's favorite color is green' but I know you'll start developing your own ideas about how mommy is not all that cool all too soon. It might be a little hard on mama but I'm mostly okay with that. I love watching you become the little man you are becoming. I am so blessed I get to be your mama on this journey. You are so very loved sweet boy!



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...