Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Friday, April 11, 2014

except i hate running.

Once upon  a time, I went out for cross country. My cross country stint didn't last long. My friends and I were in it for the social aspect and we skipped most of our runs until the coach found out. Once she found out, she loaded us up and dropped us off out of town, forcing us to run back.

We hitch hiked.

Because I hate running.



The last few years, I've decided to start running again (literally- I have to start over every year after not running all winter) and last year I (finally) successfully ran multiple 5ks without walking. It made me feel like an actual runner. A super, incredibly slow and whiney runner. But a runner.

This year, as I started. My thought pattern was pretty much the same as it has been the last two years: 'I hate running. Why am I doing this? This is horrible. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna die.'

Because I hate running.


(I should note... I ran a couple times indoors this winter and had zero of those thoughts. I actually felt great and surprised out how easy it was to start this year. I'm not an indoor runner though and when I restarted this 'spring' I started outside. It was cold. And windy. And I hate the cold and wind. More than I hate running.)


I realized I should probably stop doing something that I hate so much so I quit decided to fill in the blank:

I love running because......

Because nothing. I hate running.


(Seriously that was my first thought.)

(Okay, Heidi. You can come up with SOMETHING....)


Because... it forces me to do laundry. (I only have two pairs of running socks and three sports bras I love.)

That was all I could come up with that night. But it was a start.


After my Week 1, Day 3 run (it was a lot easier than the first two), I filled in the blank again. I actually came up with a few more this time and thought I should write them down to remind me the next time I'm complaining about how much I hate running.

I love (okay, love is a strong word... let's maybe go with tolerate) running because:

-It's (kind of) free and you can do it (almost) anywhere. (This week I ran laps around the playground while B played.)

-It's social. I love the uninterrupted time of chit chat with running buddies it affords me. And the 5ks are fun too. (Midnight Madness in Ames is one of our faves!)

-It makes me feel strong. (When I was consistently running every other day, my leg muscles were amazing.)

-I just like being able to say I can. (When I actually can just go out and run a 5k, it's a great feeling. Five years ago I don't think I ever would have thought I could do that. But now I know I can. I totally feel like it's an accomplishment.)

-Compared to other workouts, it doesn't require much planning out/thinking. You don't have to have a plan (though it helps) or think much about (in fact, I've found it's better if I DONT think about it and just do it). You just go do it. I hated sitting down to make a workout plan and thinking about arms days, legs days, etc. (I know I probably should still do that anyway but I hate it more than I hate running so I don't.)

-It's a great way to spend time outdoors.


Typically by the end of the summer, I'll be able to remember some other things about running. I just wanted this list to get me started.

Because for someone that hates running (me), starting is the hardest part.

Any newbie (or not) runners out there that want to start a 'remote running club' with me? I feel like it's hard to meet up with too many of my runner friends since we don't live super close but it'd be fun to have a (private of course) facebook group where we all checked in and held each other accountable, planned 5k outings together and even... meet up for runs. Let me know if you want to join me! And if you haven't ran for 10 years.. you can join too. In fact, you totally should join. Seriously. Go download the Couch to 5K app and get going!!! :)









LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...