Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Friday, October 31, 2014

no tricks, just treats

We're big fans of beggar's night. B started planning this year's costume months in advance, telling everyone he was going to be 'tic toc croc.' Ten minutes before it was time to put the costume on he decides he wants to be Jake (from the Neverland Pirates) instead and definitely doesn't want to wear the croc head. What the what!? It didn't take long to convince him trick or treating = a tic toc croc costume and the hat could be optional. You'll be able to tell below, he (mostly) opted out of it. Even though I took him out for real pics (thankfully) before actual trick or treat night, I tried to get a couple before heading down the street. I asked him to stand nicely and he turned his (Easter basket/Halloween) bucket upside down and started singing 'Happy Birthday.' He also wore it as a hat and danced around the yard laughing at himself before I could finally convince him to give me a shot so we could leave. We love that the firefighters hang out in the neighborhood passing out glow bracelets. They started at our house this year and B couldn't have been more thrilled! (Fun fact about the fireman giving B his bracelet…. I had him as a middle schooler back in 04-05 and he's related to cousin Mo.) (04-04? Again. What the what?!) B carefully chose the houses he wanted to go to. First stop was his little buddy that he misses! Once he got the hang of it, he was toolin' down the street ready to roll! The houses he picked to stop at was a short list. Five houses later and we were home (to hand out our own treats) with a nearly full bucket of candy (and crackers, fruit snacks, markers, stickers, play dough, bracelets, etc.). He was super spoiled. I'd say he chose the right five stops. :) He also got a super special goodie bag from one awesome neighbor and then when 8pm rolled around (the official end time), we crashed one more house where we got honey crisps and more awesome treats. Best stop yet. ;) 

Random Facts:
B was most guessed as: a dragon.
Most popular girls costume we saw: Elsa (of course)
Most popular boys costume we saw: Uhhhhh bloody, crazy, weird people(?)
Other popular costumes we saw: Monsters, bumble bees, bow bearing characters (Katniss, Robin Hood, etc.)
(My) Favorite kids costume: Toaster Strudel Boy or League of Their Own player
(My) Favorite adult costume we saw: Dan Wardell (I think it's his twin!) ;)
B's Favorite Treat: Play doh (and the glow bracelet- that one wins every year)
% of Thank Yous: I didn't keep track this year but it was high. Way higher than most years.
% of Middle Schoolers not wearing costumes but trick or treating anyway: Way lower than most years (maybe why the thank you % was higher?). (I'm all for middle school kids being kids and enjoying beggars night but for the love of candy… at least make an effort for a costume). ;)
What I Miss Most about 'My' Halloweens: Grandma's popcorn balls

All in all, another beggars night approved by the H family. 

Real (who am I kidding… the ones seen here are most definitely the more 'real' of the bunch…) costume pics posting to the cbh page shortly. :)

Happy Halloween! 










LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...