Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Trucks Party!

B has been talking about 'TRUCKS PARTY' for a few weeks now. One morning we were watching a show (Henry Hugglemonster maybe?) and they were having a birthday party. I asked B what kind of party he wanted and he wanted TRUCKS. And so began the non-stop 'trucks party' talk.

The party planning was simple. I ordered this trucks banner and matching napkins. I asked B what else he wanted at his party. He wanted cookies so I showed the banner to Amanda from Three Chicks Bakery and she hooked us up with the cutest truck cookies ever (see below). (My personal fave: 'Caution: Two Ahead.')
As party day got closer, R talked about grilling out or making chili. We asked B what he wanted and he said 'PIZZA PARTY!' We weren't hard sells.
The morning of his party, he made a last minute request for 'donuts party.' Somewhere filed deep in the back of my mind I remembered seeing a stack of chocolate donuts as 'black wall tires' for a Tow-mater birthday party (online of course) so we quickly bought out all the chocolate mini-donuts in town and wrapped them up in 'Spare Tires' paper (thanks mom). Even with the last minute (perfect) addition requested by B, it was the easiest party planning I've ever done. I stood around an hour before the party with nothing to do and was pretty sure I'd forgotten something.

B didn't request a cake, but I made him one anyway. I got asked for the recipe- it was a box. I got asked the brand- whatever was on sale. I think the secret to good cake is yummy frosting. Wilton is always good for frosting recipes. I used this chocolate one. (I freeze the cake overnight two days before the party too so that might help? I don't know. I'm not actually a cake eater so I couldn't tell ya.)

So B had trucks, cookies, pizza & donuts and he was totally set to party. He kept looking at the banner and whispering 'happy birthday.' When anyone asked him how old he was going to be he would say, 'Two then THREE!' Which is true. I guess. That part of the party (him changing ages and all) is crazy to me so we'll save that post for another day.

For now, I'll just share some party pics. To answer your questions- Yes, I took a couple detail shots before it got dark out (our living room has terrible lighting at night) (big thanks to my friend J for snapping shots in my terribly lit living room!). No, I didn't talk to B about the whole blowing out a candle thing before hand. He was totally confused. Yes, he was way more interested in the cookies than he was the cake. No, he doesn't like opening presents with all eyes on him either (just like his mama).

Also, big shout out to cousin Maddox for coming up to spend the night and being a huge helper. He did most of the party set up and even frosted the cake (with a little help).

And finally. That final picture. At the very end. With the cheesey smile. For the first time ever- B looked at the camera and said, 'Take my picture!' (Then totally cheesed out.)

Be still my photog heart.

I'm sure there will be more about how I'm doing emotionally throughout the week after B turns two B turning two later on this week. Wish me luck.















LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...