Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Friday, September 20, 2013

Bedroom Redo 2013

It's been awhile since I've blogged and now all of a sudden there's several posts in a row. Crazy, I know but I had two nights of sessions rained out this week so I've been caught up on editing (for now). (This post is set to autopost so by the time you see it I will be behind on editing. Again. But for now.... I'm visiting the Hickstionary!)


It's also been awhile since our latest bedroom redo. The longest while in between bedroom makeovers actually. We built our home five years ago and in those five years, we've had some paint color on the walls! The previous paint color was there the longest. Not because we loved it but because B was born and it's a lot harder to work full-time hours from home and have a baby than I estimated it to be. And to throw in any home improvement projects? Pure craziness. I digress.

It'd been awhile since our last bedroom redo so when R told me for Mother's Day and then again for anniversary... and then on my birthday.... that he would do a house project for me as a gift, I knew what project I'd be picking out. I definitely wanted to redo the bedroom!

The problem was he kept gifting me an 'IOU' but we never saved the money to actually make it happen. Enter: my 30th birthday. And the crazy awesome friends/family that showered me with gifts/gift cards/cash. I haven't gotten that much birthday money since... never. Wowsers. I was spoiled. And I had a plan for those very generous gifts. (Thanks, guys!!!)

The plan was to use the birthday money for the bedroom if you didn't figure it out.... ;)

And so began #bedroomredo2013.

(But first lets look back at the two most recent looks.... yikes.)









And the bedroom redo 2013:
















The breakdown:
-White down comforter, coral pillow cases, bedskirt, grey ombre dip died curtains, top drawer mercury glass knobs (on mint dresser): Target.
-Grey pillow: Kohls. (And I still have $30 in Kohl's gift cards to spend... any ideas?)
-Headboard: made from 1x8s.
-Sconce: cordset from West Elm (wrapped in scrap fabric), bracket made from scrap wood.
-Dakota's dog bed: Pet 360.
-Mint dresser: neighbor's curb (then painted).
-Flooring: Shaw Rustic Allure Delavan Pine (Menards)
-Paint colors: Walls: Timeless Ivory. Mint: Coral: (all from Menards)
-Wood stump nightstand: R brought the trunk home from working tree service. The plan was to use it in B's 'big boy' room as a night stand but we realized our existing nightstand wouldn't work in here so we 'borrowed' it until B's room is ready for it.
-Printables: found online (with modified colors) or {cb}h printables.
-Wood folding chair: my MIL got a set of them from a church that was getting rid of them.
-Everything else: found around our house.



What I love:
-The lighting in this room. We have some big windows on this side of the house and get some awesome light a few times a day but before the walls were painted 'white' most people wouldn't have known it.
-The flooring. It's just not possible to feel like carpet is clean with you have a dog and a toddler. (Yes, they both hang out in our room.)
-The white bedding. (Hello, bleach!)
-The mint dresser (It was a great find on our neighbor's curb! It needed a little TLC but is now a lovely shade of mint.)
-The coral pallet arrows. (Super easy-and free! project but adds a lotta punch.)

What I'm not crazy about:
-The coral painted nightstand and sconce. (I painted the nightstand coral first and thought the sconce would balance it out and tame it down. It did the opposite and added enough coral to make it look like a preteen bedroom instead of a master bedroom. Yikes.)
-The headboard. (We had planned on making it out of barnwood but that didn't happen. We found cheap 1x8s and went that route instead. I planned to stain them but R said they needed painted. They started out bright mint. I attempted to tone that down. It's less nautical than it was in it's beginning stages but still not quite where I want it.)


What I'm going to try/still need to do:
-Tame the headboard down with some driftwood stain.
-Paint the nightstand. Again. (But what color?!?!)
-Paint the sconce bracket grey (of course).
-Find a paper mache ampersand!!!!! The plan was to put 'R&H' on the headboard but for the life of me I can't find that '&.'
-Find a replacement nightstand for when I need to move the 'wood stump' to B's room.
-Paint the bathroom. (That blue you see peeking out.) I always get hung up on a bedroom color because I always feel like the bathroom should match. We hate painting the bathroom (there's a lot to it!) so we've yet to do it. I'm thinking a light grey maybe? Anyone wanna help? :)


What I've thought about but wont likely get to:
-An art gallery wall where our caricature is.
-An area rug.


So overall, it's a huge improvement from before! We're loving the walls and the floor so hopefully those things will stay put for awhile. A little paint on the nightstands and headboard will make it super easy to change out this room as soon as I get sick enough of the coral color to do it.

What about you? Any home projects your way lately? :)


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...