Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Reciplease

Reciplease: PLEASE send me your favorite recipes (and pictures) for my cook book project.

I'm gathering favorite recipes from friends and family (and for that matter strangers) to put in my latest project. I'm getting some awesome ones, but of course need more. Send me your favorites! And when I finish the project, you can view all of the compiled recipes online (and buy the actual book if you want!).

Banana Bars by Ang
Ang got this recipe from her friend Tami that has worked in the Better Homes & Gardens test kitchens here at Meredith. (Have you been there? The kitchen is amazing!) And as I was looking for a link to send you there to see it, I found this.
Ang will probably understand why I posted it.... ever since I was there, I've been wanting that "waxy paper" for my own recipe books. It is even cooler looking in person. Enjoy the banana bars! And send me YOUR recipes!

BANANA BARS
1/2 cup shortening, melted
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup buttermilk (measure 1/2 cup milk, add 1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice to it- let stand 5 minutes... it will be a little "thick" looking on top, then add to mixture)
1 cup mashed bananas
Grease a 15x10x1-inch pan (jellyroll). Flour lightly; shaking excess flour out. Set pan aside.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together melted shortening and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Stir until well combined. Add flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir together. Add buttermilk and blend thoroughly. Stir in mashed bananas.
Spread into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is light brown and center is set. Cool completely on wire rack. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting: (you only need a 1/2 recipe to frost these, but I usually make the full recipe and keep the other half in the fridge for something else... cut it in half if you want just the amount for the bars)
1, 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
about 3 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
Milk (optional)
Make sure cream cheese and butter are softened. Beat together with a mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar until desired consistency. Stir in vanilla. Add a little milk if you want a thinner frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for the comment love. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...