Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Advent

Confession: Growing up, I didn't really know what an advent calendar was. And by 'didn't really know' I mean I had never heard of it before. I grew up in a Baptist church. Is this common? Did you have an advent calendar? Is it something I should have known about before seeing them in Target as an adult and thinking they were cute and having no idea what they were? Is that weird?
Okay. Confession time is over. 
Fast forward to 12/1/13 and we have an advent calendar. 
Our church is really focusing on the advent season more than before this year and B is at an age where he's starting to understand more and will actually sit (for a bit) and listen to us read. Plus he loves little treats and surprises. So it seemed like a perfect year to start the advent calendar at our house. 
We went quick, easy and cheap. 
The treats are a combination of notes (of fun things to do or nice things to do for someone else), little trinkets found around the house (stickers, cars and other small toys), toothbrushes (because the kid is obsessed) and treats (okay fine- suckers- the kid loves suckers more than toothbrushes). I wrapped up a package of popcorn with a note to have family movie night and also a couple of Christmas books to read ('Twas the Night Before Christmas for the 24th of course). 
R grabbed a stick out of the field for me. The string and wrapping paper we had laying around the house. 
Total cost: $0
B's reaction to today's 'sucker present': priceless. 

For the actual advent part I searched advent for toddlers. I found one called 'Advent for the very young' that we've been reading (with some modifying) and it's okay but would love to know if you've found a better one for toddlers! 

So what say you? Advent calendar? No advent calendar? 






P.S. Fine. One more confession. One of the advent cards listing nice things to do might say give your mom a back rub. Maybe. 


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...