Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

An Attempt at a Tutorial


By request.......

How To Make Fabric Flowers (if you can call them that! maybe fabric blobs would be more appropriate) and Braids


-Start with all of your scrap pieces of fabric. Divvy them up between flowers, braids, and ugly dolls. Other things that may be useful- alligator clips, needle/thread, hot glue (unless you're out of sticks and used all the English teacher's up at school)
-Tear (because scissors are overrated.... I mean to ensure your fabric is even... ) your fabric into strips. About 2" wide strips for flowers. Smaller for braids. Length can be as long as you want. I normally make the flowers and stop when it's the size I want it.
-Tuck one corner under. Start wrapping the fabric around itself. You can fold the edges over neatly if your heart desires. I prefer the smoosh it till it looks good method.
-At this point, you'll probably want to stitch a stitch in the bottom of the blob flower to hold it together. If you want it on a clip to wear in your hair, on your tank top, or on your purse, cover an alligator clip with ribbon and hot glue your flower to the clip. (Wait. Don't clip it to your purse/camera bag. I lost mine today!!! Sad!)
-For the braids (pay attention, it's a tough one) take three skinny scraps of fabric and braid it. Knot or stitch both ends. Decide how to use it.... a head band, a book mark, a bracelet (though I'd recommend a longer strand wrapped around for a bracelet!), key chain, (put a bunch together for...) table runner, rug, etc, etc, etc.
You are amazed at how easy I made this tough project look, aren't you? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...