Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Beckett on the {cb}h Blog.

There are finally a few pictures of Beckett up on the {cb}h blog (which translates into 'I'm finally caught up on {cb}h work and had time to save my own little guy's photos!').
You can check him out here: http://www.capturedbyheidiphoto.com/2011/12/beckett-dane-brand-new.html


In related news...
How do you stay caught up and organized with all the pictures of your own kids? I am SO organized with my client shots it's ridiculous. I have them saved and backed up and saved again. They are organized by client and date and I can find them in no time.

You would think it would be easy for me to do the same with B's pictures but it's not! I think part of the reason is that there are pictures of him that I want to edit (while most of them I don't edit) so sorting between the two becomes tricky.
One of the big reasons that I wanted to start photography in the first place was to be able to capture photos of our own babies some day. I have to admit... I have taken less photos of Beckett than I have of many of my clients. Seriously. Isn't that terrible!!?!?

Take his 'newborn' photos for instance. We had literally snapped 3 'newborn' shots of him and two of those were just laying in our bed upstairs. We finally got a few more pictures of him at 5 weeks old. FIVE WEEKS. He was definitely not bendy and posey anymore. :(

Setting the studio up for a session then doing the actual pictures is A LOT of work. The set up, the clean up, the time, the editing, etc... it takes forever. And frankly (I'm really embarrassed to admit this.....) it's hard to do when you aren't getting paid. Okay, yes, my payment would have been the pictures of my sweet baby but when it comes between pictures of him and pictures of someone else's baby that pay the bills, I had to choose the other. How sad is that?
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE taking pictures. I really do love it and I'm really blessed to have a hobby that can help pay the bills but just because I love doing it doesn't mean it's not a lot of work.

I guess I'm just wondering how my photographer friends manage to get it all done. How do you stay caught up on your paid work and find time to document your own life? How do you enjoy the moment but still manage to get photos of the moments? Do you take your camera to family functions or leave it behind so people don't put you to work?

Last year I did the 365 and it was so fun to go back through and put them all together. I didn't do it this year and I have hardly any photos from 2011. (Even since B's birth!) I am contemplating doing it again in 2012 but so afraid of getting caught up in the pictures and missing out on the moments. Any suggestions??

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...