Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Gifts

It seems like at this stage in life, there are a lot of gifts to give. Wedding showers, bachelorette parties, weddings, new babies, niece & nephew birthdays. Not even mentioning Christmas gifts. Gifts.

I used to love giving gifts. I'd search and search for the perfect gift. I'd take into consideration what the person was interested in. What they loved. What they spent their time doing. Then I'd consider what they already owned. And what they might want more of.

Once I had the perfect gift in mind, I'd think of a way to personalize it. Make it unique, just for them. Make it perfect.

Often times, this was very rewarding: my college adviser that was almost in tears from the canoe themed gift I gave her before graduating, right down to the canoe card, she was touched that I had picked up on that being one of her main interests.

It feels good when you've found that perfect gift and you get a response of great appreciation.

Sometimes though, when you've put a lot of thought and effort into a perfect gift, you don't get the response you might hope for.

And sometimes gifts are just plain flops.... like the putt putt golf set I was just sure my brother would love (it's in the basement of my own house now...).

This response (or lack of response) sometimes makes gift giving hard. Did they like it? Do they appreciate it? Are they going to return it? Or worse, will they regift it? to you? (Okay, that hasn't actually happened to me, but is a fear I've entertained before...)

Maybe I'm less confident now. Maybe I'm more worried about making things "even" as I get older. Maybe I've exhausted all of my "really good gift ideas." Maybe I'm less creative.

But for me, gift giving isn't as easy as it used to be.

What are some perfect gifts you've received lately?


This is part 1 in my attempt to organize my thoughts on His grace.
Read part 2 here. And part 3 here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...