Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Monday, August 10, 2009

(in)courage

Even though I'm feeling over capacity lately, I'm encouraged knowing He sees the big picture.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Big Picture

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are my ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts." -Isaiah 55:8-9

His thoughts. His ways. His timing. His plan. His big picture.

He can see all of it. He can see the entire big picture.

One time when I was in middle school, there was a big wreck on the interstate not far from my hometown. Several cars, semis, trailers. I remember driving past and seeing all of the ambulances and the life flight helicopter. I remember seeing people on stretchers everywhere. I remember it was the first time I had seen body bags in real life. I remember feeling so sad for the victims.

I remember that week at church, another family from our church had also driven past the same wreck. This couple had taken their grandson to get donuts before coming home the day of the accident. It took what seemed like forever for them to get through the check out line. The cashier was evidently new at her job and did not know what she was doing. The grandfather grumbled. He was complaining about how long it was taking and how they really didn't need donuts anyway. The grandson, five years old at the time, insisted on getting the donuts despite the long wait. The grandmother said it was okay to wait and grandfather continued to grumble.
Minutes later, finally out of the check out line and on the way home, they came upon the wreck. It had just occurred, traffic had slowed, but there were no emergency vehicles there yet.
Grandfather was upset at yet another inconvenience slowing down his day but the five year old was pleased. "Grandpa," he said, "Isn't it great that God made us wait so long for donuts and saved us from being in this wreck?"

That little boy is no longer so little and every time I see him, I wonder if he remembers this scene? I wonder if he remembers that God always has a plan and that while we may seem inconvenienced, irritated, or down right mad at God, His plan, His timing, is always perfect.

He can see the big picture. He knows what happened yesterday, whats happening now, what will happen tomorrow.

He may "inconvenience" us with long lines for donuts. It's easy to be mad at Him. It's easy to be frustrated with Him. It's easy to blame Him and to ask Him why.

It's easy to to be mad because we can't see the Big Picture. It's hard to look at an inconvenience and see a blessing. His ways are greater than my ways. His thoughts greater than my thoughts.

My prayer today is that I will fully trust in Him. That I will understand while life's "inconveniences" are often hard to bear, that they are a part of His wonderful plan.

Lord, help me to remember that my "inconveniences" are a part of Your Big Picture.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...