Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Stocking Up

I don't think I have any guy readers but just in case- fellas, this post is not for you.

The nesting bug finally hit me (just a little bit late don't ya think?) and I've been cleaning out closets. While doing this I noticed I have an entire closet shelf full of baby shower gift bags. If I were smart I would have wrapped Christmas presents in them this year (they'd forgive me if I pulled the 'just had a baby' card right?). But I'm saving them for another purpose.

Enter: stocking up on BM (no, not that BM, breast milk!).

I've seen lots of ways to store breast milk but in my humble opinion this is the best. I can't take credit for it. I saw it somewhere long before B was born but for the life of me I can't find where.

Anyway, here's the trick:
-Use a bag with a base the same size as your milk bags.
-Cut a rectangle at the bottom of one of the sides on the bag.
-Put your milk in the gift bag.

When you're ready to use it, pull a bag out of the rectangle at the bottom. You'll be using the oldest milk first without having to dig through it checking dates.

Genius, right?

(Bonus tip- lay your fresh milk flat until it freezes before putting it on top of the frozen milk. It stacks up prettier this way and I'm guessing it's better for your milk too. Though I can't prove that last part.)

Happy stocking up!

PS- don't miss my last post. It links up to the Take Heart special!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...