Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Good Read

I don't normally recommend books about parenting because I think there's SO much information out there that it's easy to be bombarded and overwhelmed with it. That and I think a lot of them are just plain crazy. Ahem.

But. I have been reading 'The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding' and have to admit I'm liking it a lot.
Background info: I have an FCS degree and focused on child development in college. I've worked with some of the big child development researchers at ISU and I'm fascinated with brain development research. I love following new studies. That being said, women and babies have been doing this breastfeeding thing (and basic survival thing) for centuries and the human body (both the mama and the baby) have an amazing way of just making it work.
What I am liking about this book is how it explains what has been working for hundreds of hundreds of years and the reason behind that. Not just breastfeeding but solid feedings, sleeping, etc.
Okay and I admit- I like that it backs me up in my reasons to do the things I'm doing. I feel like being a mom is one of the roles that we're judged the most in. People have opinions about what we're doing and they aren't afraid to share it. It feels good to have history and science on my side when 'well-meaning' advice givers let me have it.
I don't necessarily agree with 100% of this book and definitely am not putting all of it to practice. But I do think it's a good read.

Anyway- all that to say I hadn't heard much about this book before B so I thought I'd share it in case you'd not heard of it either. I probably wouldn't have started reading it but our doula brought it by for me to borrow and it's been sitting here awhile. I just found out she's pregnant so I thought I better read it and get it back to her before she needs it again soon! :)

Oh and the Mr has even read some of the interesting stuff in it. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...