Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Craving: Chilled Strawberry Soup


It's been a long time since I've posted any recipes. Likely because it's been a long time since I've cooked anything new (and honestly, much of anything. period.).

But that doesn't mean food hasn't been on my mind. In fact, I'm thinking about food more than ever. It keeps me up at night. I literally have bad dreams about someone else getting the last nutty bar (funny, because I didn't even eat nutty bars before this spring rolled around).

Last night my bad dream was about chilled strawberry soup. I've been craving it for awhile and every time I've had a chance to choose a place to eat, I would try my hardest for Shoppes on Grand (for the soup of course). I never got to go.
In my dream, I finally did get to go but they had stopped making chilled strawberry soup. In a frenzy, I started searching for the perfect chilled strawberry soup recipe.
I realize this makes me sound more weird that I already am. I'm actually even weirder than this....
... because as it turns out, part of that dream wasn't actually a dream. When I woke up today, the 1993 Iowa State Fair Award Winning Chilled Strawberry Soup recipe was pulled up on my phone.

I wish I were making that up.

Thankfully, we had all of the ingredients on hand (well not the fat free version like the recipe- I'll include my version of the recipe in a little bit) and I was able to finally have chilled strawberry soup for lunch today.


It doesn't take much to make this hungry girl happy.

(Unless you're married to her and you sometimes drive 20+ miles to satisfy a food craving not available in this small town....)

Following is my version. And it was tasty!


In blender mix until smooth:
2 1/2 cups frozen strawberries (thawed)
1 C skim milk

Pour mixture into large bowl and add/whisk well:
6 oz container vanilla yogurt
1/4 C pure maple syrup
splash of vanilla

Whisk in:
3 oz package strawberry gelatin

Top with whipped cream. Serve chilled.

(PS- when you're eating it at home, you don't have to use the dainty spoon like at the tea room. Go ahead and slurp it up. I wont tell.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...