Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Friday, July 15, 2011

DIY


I don't know if we are actually 'DIY' type of people or if we are just the 'too cheap to pay someone else to do it' type, but we end up doing a lot of our own little projects around here.
We're in the middle of a big little project right now.... oh you've heard me mention it a time or two? (If you're already bored, just click on outta here.)
R finished laying the flooring in there (a grey wood laminate) and put the trim up (painted deep aqua). We got the crib set up and the next big thing on my list was bedding.
You may have heard me mention the fabric issue before.... my intention was to find some fabrics that I loved to make a crib quilt, choose one of those fabrics for the skirt (and bumper) and put all that together with a nice, matching (store bought) sheet. I quickly ditched the bumper idea (that's a lot of work for something the baby isn't supposed to use anyway). And after searching for days (weeks, really) and not falling in love with any fabrics, I changed the main quilt color to white and realized there was no need to make a white crib skirt (right?). I got online with good intentions of finding a nice (CHEAP) white or grey crib skirt. I figured I could surely find something plain for $15. Then I saw this Dwell crib skirt. It wasn't exactly $15 but I couldn't get it out of my mind. I searched a few more days with no luck and kept coming back to the grey mini dots. I almost made an impulse buy but it was out of stock. I figured that was a good sign. Or was it a challenge? I searched a few other places. After finding it out of stock in online store after online store, there was finally a place that had it ready to ship. I made the fastest 'impulse' (or maybe just stupid?) buy I've made since college and it was on my doorstep two days later.
If you're taking notes, that's now the second baby purchase we've made- after the flooring. (I actually purchased a few little clothing things over the weekend and again yesterday so I've made a few more little purchases now too.... I'm slowly catching up to where you all expected me to be by now...)
I couldn't wait to get it up so when I came up to the trim down and a husband willing to set up the crib, we did it. (There's no mattress yet and we will eventually move the base up, this was just for looks people.)
And that's the way too long, 5 minutes of your life you'll never get back, story of how I gave up a DIY project. Now if I could just hand off this quilt project to my mom, I'll only have 372 more DIY projects to go!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...