Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

this is why i do it

I love teaching. I do. It's who I am. It's in my blood. I'm in my element when I'm there. I feel good about what I'm doing when I'm there doing it.
But I'm figuring out what I love about teaching is working with people (especially kids, no offense to you adults) and being on 'stage' (because I always feel like it's a performance to teach 8th graders anything).
When I started doing photography, I realized I loved it too. I didn't quite feel in my element because I felt like I didn't know what I was doing (I felt that way when I started teaching too). But I loved it.
And then I figured out that what I love about photography is working with people (especially kids, no offense to you adults) and being on 'stage' (because I always feel like it's a performance to get a 2 year old to look at the camera AND smile).
Before every school day and before every session, I pray. I pray that God would use me to be a blessing to someone. And while I've had tons of 8th graders tell me lots of nice things (oh don't worry, I've had some tell me mean things too) and tons of photography clients tell me lots of nice things (and while they haven't told me, I'm sure they've thought mean things too) I literally teared up today when a client told me what a blessing I am to her.
And that's why I do what I do.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...