Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Living Better


Summer vacation is coming to an end. The end of this summer marks a new beginning for me. I have so many mixed feelings about it.
One thing I'm feeling is worried.
I'm not worried about if this was the right choice for us or not (I've overcome that worry. for today).
I'm worried about becoming a full-time slob.
It's so easy for me to shower whenever I want (or not), to never fix my hair or make-up, and to wear an endless supply of tees/tanks and comfy pants in the summer.
During the school year, I'm more likely to put effort into these things and into things around the house. Without the routine of school to keep me on a schedule, I'm worried about my new normal and what it might look like.

I've decided I need to be more intentional about living better. I'm going to attempt to blog my way through it and you can hold me accountable. I plan to start easy, with things we are already doing, and work my way through things we want to do and/or are working on. I have a lot of friends that are experts in some of the areas I want to improve on so be prepared for me to ask you to guest post.

To start, and to make me feel halfway decent about doing something right, I'm going to show you our mail system.

Someone asked me about the purpose of the 'in' and 'out' clips in our improved 'what is that' spot and if they were really necessary for us. YES. They are. We get A LOT of mail. A lot of junk mail. A lot of business mail. A lot of {cb}h mail. And sometimes a lot of mail that belongs to the neighbors but that's another story....

As soon as the mail comes into the house, I take it to the garbage can to sort it. (I should have said recycling bin, huh? Maybe you can guest post on recycling to live better for me later?)

I tear up and throw out all the junk mail first. R never sees the hundred offers for new credit cards he gets every month (federal offense? sorry, mom).

In the junk drawer directly above the garbage is a pair of scissors (we keep scissors all over the house and in the car, are we the only ones that use scissors that much?). I cut out any coupons or ads I want to save.


The bills come out and go to the 'To Do' bucket. (As part of his quest to lead our family, R took over the bill paying last year. It's been great!)

The {cb}h mail comes out and goes to my work desk for sorting and filing.

Anything else for R goes to the 'In' clip at this point. (Previously, it was stacked on the cookbook holder on my kitchen counter. It felt so good to get it off the counter today!)

I know sorting through the mail seems like a simple thing for most but we really do get SO much of it. If we don't use a system, it can really overtake the counter (and pantry, and desk, and...). It seems like just sorting it over the garbage helps out a lot.

Do you find that you have mail stacked up or cluttered on the counter? Do you have an awesome sort system?
Are you ready to be a living better guest blogger for me? :) Email me and let me know!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...