Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Lemon Shake Ups


Are you ready for the Iowa State Fair???

I grew up loving the state fair and I try to go every year. R did not grow up loving the fair but he tolerates it every year (for me!).
I haven't been doing all that awesome in the heat this summer, but I'm still excited for the fair to get here. One of my favorite things is the food! Though can't say I've ever tried the fried oreos... I tend to stick to the corn dogs, funnel cakes, smoothies, and LEMONADE! Ginny's Lemonade is my favorite (it's the one outside the pig barn... tasty sounding, I know).
I've tried to copy the state fair lemonades and haven't been real successful at it, but this concotion comes close.

I combined a few different recipes that I found online. If you google search 'state fair lemonade,' you'll come up with lots of recipes to try! Here's what worked for me:

Lemon Shake Ups

Heat 1 Cup water and 2 Cups sugar on high in saucepan:

Bring to boil and boil for 5 minutes (stir, stir, stir!).

Let sit until room temperature.

When cool, stir in 1 Cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 3-4 lemons? heat the lemons in the microwave before squeezing for best juice).

Fill 8 oz measuring cup with 1 Cup ice and water. Pour into jar.
Pour 1/4 cup lemon syrup mixture over water.

Shake, serve and enjoy- preferably on the front porch swing but at the computer while editing works too.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...