Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

The 'What is That?' Spot.

We built our home three years ago. (I don't use the term built lightly like many do. I'm talking about doing the actual, physical building. Yes, I think there's a big difference.)

Since we moved in, we've had this little niche by they back door. I always had big plans for it but it sat empty- or full of boxes, storage tubs, bags, shoes, etc, etc, etc. It was a sad, lonely, unfinished, brown niche. Most people that went through our house would ask about the odd little space and what it's purpose was. And the truth is, it really didn't have a purpose.

Until today.

All I wanted for my birthday was for R to do something with the niche. He's been putting it off for one reason or another (namely blaming his finishing carpentry skills) for quite awhile now but finally decided he would give it a try.

One of the nice things about always having a project going on is that you always have odds/ends materials for new projects. The total cost for this project was $20 and only because he was 5" short on plywood.



The breakdown:

-I made a cardboard template for R to copy and he used the ($20) plywood to build the desk part. He trimmed it in with trim pieces we already had in the basement. We painted it with existing trim paint (We always have this color on hand- it's Sherwin Williams 'PATIENCE.' Don't you love that?)
-We painted the wall with leftover paint from the nursery trim (Sherwin Williams 'Drizzle' color- looks more blue here but it's aqua). Yes, it's trim paint, not wall paint. We improvise on a lot of projects around here.
-The post box was a hand me down from Holly. I painted and ruffed it up.
-The post box holds storage for stamps, post its, pocket change, business cards, etc.


-More storage is located on the back walls (that you can't see). There are also EIGHT outlets on those walls (I originally planned to use this as a charging station).


-We have no idea what the 'In' and 'Out' board is from. I actually pulled it out of the basement garbage and hot glued the scrabble letters and clothes pins on. This will hopefully work great for us because I have a lot of outgoing mail with {cb}h and R is often the one to do the post office run. I often check the mail and things he needs to go through sits on the counter until he gets to it. (Yes, we have the back of the pantry for that purpose but he would forget to check there for it. Hopefully this works better!)
-Bucket next to the pen jar is a 'To Do' bucket. Was hoping to keep it empty but there's always something to do.
-Mustache mug is from craft night (more on that later), courtesy of Jill. Isn't it perfect?
-The pink canvas is taped to the wall while I figure out what to put there. Likely a similar canvas project (with the letters going the correct way obviously).
-Chair I bought from The Shabby Tabby for $5 awhile back. It's a photo prop but this is the perfect place to store it, dontcha think?

I know it doesn't look like that big of a deal but I really wish I had the before picture so you could see what an improvement this really is. Hopefully it serves its purpose well and keeps the kitchen counter clutter free! Thanks for working on this today, R!

PS- He still has over half the plywood left and thinks it's enough for the nursery storage bench so the $20 is going a long ways!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...