Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

the day i went gluten free

Long story short, I've been sick for several months now. I finally decided I'd been missing enough life that it was time to go to the doctor. Once testing started, it was suspected I might have a gluten intolerance and blood work was sent to Mayo for a full celiacs panel. In the meantime, I was traveling and did NOT want to be sick at 30,000 feet. (Can you even imagine?!)

So ensued my gluten free day.*

Unfortunately, I packed all the airplane snacks before deciding to go gluten free for the day. We were well stocked with granola bars, crackers and the like but not much else. We also hadn't eaten before arriving at the airport so we would be eating two of our meals while traveling. (Not well thought out, I know!)

First stop: Des Moines International. I'll admit, I've never actually eaten at this airport before. Typically we have early morning flights out so other than a granola bar/banana and glass of juice, I don't eat much breakfast before flying. Arriving here at lunch time threw me for a curve. We found a burger place and I got a bunless burger, sweet potato fries and some mixed fruit. (I should point out that until I was pregnant I hadn't eaten a hamburger outside of my own home since junior high. That information will be handy later on in another blog post containing more about my vomit than you've ever wanted to know!) ;)
I was pretty positive since there were no breaded items on the menu that the fries were being cooked in safe oil and was pretty positive the foods I was ordering were also safe but to be sure I asked. Unfortunately, I knew more from google than the kind people at the restaurant knew.

Lesson #1 of the day: Don't assume food service workers will know what they are serving you.

I opted out of our snack choices and by the time we landed in Detroit (yes, I realize that's the opposite way of Phoenix. Our airport isn't the biggest and doesn't offer the best routes) I knew I'd want to eat dinner before our next flight. We had a three hour layover so I was anticipating that to be plenty of time to find a gluten free meal.

I was so wrong.

We checked out one of the food courts near our terminal. I walked by a table that I had sat at years ago with high school friends. I remember sitting in that exact spot, laughing and joking and likely eating whatever the heck I wanted. Today looked so very different. I started working my way counterclockwise through the food court carefully checking the menus and even asking if there were gluten free options. The response I received over and over again (at least by the ones that could speak English) was "Sorry, no. All we have is what you see on the menu above." By the time we made it to the end of the food court, I was almost in tears reading the sign above the last place: Sandwiches, rolls, donuts, croissants, muffins, scones, etc, etc. Really?!? I started crying right there next to the table I sat at years ago laughing so care-freely. I know that sounds a bit dramatic but at the time I was starving with no choices in sight and not quite ready to make the haul to the next nearest food spots.

Lesson #2 of the day: Scope out available food options before leaving the house.

Eventually, I pulled it together and we found a Chilis. We have a family friend with celiacs who I remember talking about being able to eat there so we scoped it out. After a long wait, they eventually found a gluten free menu for me. There were three options on it, nothing which sounded good at the time but I ordered a bunless chicken (with bacon and swiss) sandwich. I'm beginning to notice a trend here. In the gluten free world, bunless sandwiches seem to be the choice. You would think a salad would be simple enough to make gluten free but many of the places had them pre-prepped with croutons and the like. Fortunately, I was also able to get some fruit at Chilis and we were good to go. 10 minutes before it was time to board our flight. At the other end of the terminal. Oh but right before we took off in a mad dash, the lovely cashier let me know that the fries had seasoning on them, making them not gluten free. (What!?!)

Lesson #3 of the day: Even if you are ordering from the GLUTEN FREE menu, be sure to let them know you actually want ALL of your food gluten free. 

I scarfed it down (the meat and fruit- no fries) and we booked it to the gate.

We settled in for our longish flight and I was busy keeping B entertained and full of (non gluten free) snacks.

Lesson #4 of the day: Always pack gluten free snacks. Always!

Unfortunately, during the process of feeding B, I (out of habit I guess) snuck one of his teddy grahams. I didn't think anything of it until we were about 30 minutes out from landing. I got a terrible migraine and was sick to my stomach. I knew I was going to be sick but hoped I could hold it in until we landed. I quickly recounted the foods I had eaten and thought it might have been the teddy graham. But really?!? Just one?!? (Or maybe two....)

I'll spare you the details but Lesson #5 of the day: Always have quick access to the barf bag.

Yikes.

I ended the day being deathly sick once we got to Mal's (and on the way there for that matter) and went straight to bed. I was slightly better the next morning but not ready to face another gluten free day.

THANKFULLY I received a call from the doctor later on that day letting me know my celiac panel came back okay. I resumed eating gluten and managed to stay mostly healthy the rest of the trip.



I'll be honest, as an FCS teacher keeping track of 135+ students dietary needs is a challenge. It's frustrating at times to coordinate that many plans and I felt bad for myself over the situation. BUT. Standing underneath the food court sign boasting muffins (and other gluten filled delectables) for sale and knowing (or at least thinking) I couldn't have any but not having any other food options in sight was terrible! I don't do well in low food circumstances and it was pure torture. I stood there and cried but I wasn't only crying about being hungry, I was crying because I know SO many people that have special dietary needs and I never really gave much thought to it. I just always assumed it was an easy transition for them to figure out (and okay, I maybe even thought, what a nice way to be forced to diet- no wonder they are so skinny) (yes, I'm embarrassed to be admitting that to you!). I was crying because I felt so guilty about not educating myself before. I felt guilty about not making a point to serve special foods (or avoid serving other foods) when we have guests with special needs. I just felt guilty!

So to those of you that have to be gluten free or have other special dietary needs, my heart goes out to you and I promise to be more sensitive in the future. I don't know how you do it!




*I am absolutely positively NOT a gluten free expert in ANY way, shape or form. I found all of my information by asking 'Dr Google' and found it difficult to find accurate, reliable information. The point of this post is not to help anyone follow a gluten free diet but rather to lament with them about how difficult it can be and encourage them to plan ahead (and educate themselves) before traveling. Big sympathies and props to those of you that must follow the gluten free diet or have other special dietary needs.



PS- The food culprit of the day was not the teddy graham. It was likely the grease from the bacon/swiss on the chicken. More on why to come. (I always say that, don't I?)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...