Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Choose Joy


I'm crabby.
And apparently my husband has noticed.
He came home from the grocery store with some flaked crab. It's not something we normally purchase. It wasn't on the grocery list. And he doesn't even know what it is. But he brought it home to me anyway. Apparently he's noticed how crabby I've been. And bought me some crab. Because misery loves company. Come to think of it, that sushi from yesterday.... yup, it was crab too. (I can see this quickly derailing into a "You are What You Eat" post.... I'll do my best to get it back on track but excuse me for just a second while I grab some fruit......)

There's no one in particular reason for my crabbiness. Nothing major. In fact, my thought process on my way to Bible study tonight went something like this....
"Seriously, does the city even clear this road?! Lord, why can't they just be on board with my idea? I really am getting frustrated with this. And what is the deal with me lately? Why am I so misunderstood? I was NOT rude to that person. They had no reason to treat me that way. Since when did that fall into THEIR job description?! Ugh. I'm so tired of that. I'm so tired of this. Another month, really Lord? When is Your timing going to meet up with my timing? How do they expect us to see over these drifts? They are bigger than my car. I feel like I'm driving through a tunnel here, Lord. Do you realize by the end of the day I will have been in my car for nearly three hours just to do my normal Monday routine? What is the deal with all this snow? Is it ever going to end? Is basketball season ever going to end? When is it going to be warm out?" Etc. Etc. Etc.
Are you catching my drift?

I. am. crabby.

And then I show up at Bible study. And there's happy doh dappy Beth Moore on the big screen.
"JOY. We are commanded to rejoice and in Christ, we ALWAYS have a reason."

Always? Ugh. What's my reason for joy right now, Lord?

"The very least of our reasons to rejoice is our salvation. Have joy in the fact that your name is written in heaven!"

Oh... yeah... I remember that from this week's study. I guess You are right... So why am I so crabby?!

"JOY. Realize that everything we're going through pales in comparison to His greatness and goodness to us!"

Wow.

It's true. The Lord has been good to me. The Lord is good to me. He blesses me abundantly. Despite my circumstances, I am loved by Him. I am blessed by Him. He has written my name in Heaven. Joy.

When this world has given me more than I can handle- the Lord has a joy to come for me that is greater than anything in this world. Joy.

Before we leave, a sweet woman in my small group reminds us there are only 33 days left until spring. Joy.

As we are walking out, the same sweet lady asks us to make snow angels with her (she was joking, I think). As she walks ahead, a new friend from group grabs a snow ball. I follow her lead and we take advantage of the 'few' days we have left to play in the snow by sharing (right upside her head) with the sweet woman that reminded us of how soon winter will be over. JOY.

Lord, Thank You for the JOY. Thank You for being so good to me. Your goodness and greatness is more than reason enough for me to rejoice! I thank You for the reminders, large and small, of that feeling of joy. Thank You for the reasons You give me to rejoice. Lord, help me to always stop looking at the snow in my life with grumbling and complaints and help me to turn it into snowballs, snow angels, and laughter. Help me to always rejoice in You! Amen

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...