Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Toddlerhood

It's all fun and games... until the toddler learns how to open door knobs......

That is B's latest trick. He's been shutting doors all over the place for awhile now but today he thought opening them might be a good trick to. He thinks it is so awesome and he is so proud of himself.

Mama doesn't share the sentiment.

With B's 18 month (half) birthday right around the corner, I find myself feeling really sentimental about all the things that still make him little. I know that sounds crazy to those of you with middle schoolers... or college goers... or grandkids.... but this transition from baby to big kid is rough on me.

Every single day he's doing more and more 'big kid stuff' and less and less 'baby stuff.'

i.e. Today he made muffins. He had never made muffins before. I'm not even sure he's seen me make muffins. But he knew exactly what to do. I handed him the cupcake liners and told him we needed to put them in the pan. I went to preheat the oven and by the time I got back to the counter, he had all the liners in the cupcake pan. Some were wonky. Some had two (or three) liners in them. But the basic job was done. And he did a good job. Next we gathered the ingredients. I measured. He stirred. I scooped. He poured. I put muffins in the oven. He warned Dakota the oven was 'hot!' and held his 'stop' hand out to keep his dog safe (and he hadn't heard anyone else say the word 'hot' yet today). As he sat patiently waiting for his muffins to finish baking, I couldn't believe how 'old' he looked.

R will often say things like, 'I can't wait until he's old enough to play at the gym while I work.'

I find myself thinking, 'I can't believe he won't nap in my arms anymore.'

It's a fine balance on the tightrope; looking ahead with excitement while cherishing the memories of my baby. Loving all the ages & stages but saving the most room to soak up the stage he's in today.

Today I find myself delighting in his voice (it's seriously so fun to hear him say words on his own!) and in awe of his sense of independence.

But.... while he's taking a nap, I'm looking at pictures from a year ago and cherishing those chubby cheeks that are disappearing much to soon for my liking.


(I'll be sure to give them extra kisses when my sleeping babe wakes up.)

Happy Tuesday, friends! What stage of life are you soaking up today?



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...