Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Saturday, February 2, 2013

A Milestone | First Hair Cut

We dress our little man in suspenders, sports gear, & rock n' roll threads. It's an eclectic look but (in my opinion) definitely all boy. But no matter how we dress him, he still gets called a she. And as much as his mama corrects some people, they still call him Becca. The hair past his shoulders might not help with that. But when I was updating his baby book and realized the ONLY thing left to update was his first hair cut, I knew that hair cut would make him officially, like for real this time, no longer a baby. Ugh. The agony. So I put off getting him a haircut. Besides, I liked the surfer boy look on him. He rocked it. (in my opinion.) 
Then we woke up Saturday morning and I don't know what got into us, but we decided to head over to Joe's and get B his first haircut. I have no explanation as to how it happened or why, it just did. And after we had driven 45 minutes, I knew there was no backing out. And so it happened... B's first hair cut.

It had to be special so it was worth the drive to Joe's. As soon as we walked in, we heard the hushed, 'hey shhhh there's a woman in here.' While Joe's may be a special place for boys to get their first hair cut, it's definitely not mama friendly. Ha. Joe's barber shop is apparently the Saturday morning hangout where you can get your town news, tall tales & breakfast all in one stop. The sign says to sit outside if you're not a paying customer but they pay no attention. I'm not sure what the fire code limit is for a barber shop of that size but at more than one point I'm sure we exceeded it. We heard some good stories about Joe that I hadn't heard before. And we heard all about a big fundraiser he's a big part of that's having an auction soon. They enjoy giving him a hard time but had more good things to say about him than bad. You can tell it's a special place to be on Saturdays.

B was the main attraction this day and several of the friendly guys took an interest in him. He loves being the center of attention (I have no idea where he gets it!) and enjoyed checking out the car collection, the turkeys, and the antlers. He even got his very own set to add a little of the taxidermy trend to his 'bigger' boy room. (More on that soon.)

Yes, Joe's is definitely the place to be on Saturday mornings but I can't say how he stays in business. He insisted we would not pay for B's haircut and I noticed he charged the nice man ahead of us the same. I have no idea what keeps Joe's running, but it's clear the patrons wont be going anywhere else anytime soon. And I might even bring B back for another cut... you know, in another 14 months. :) 

A last look at B's sweet curls and a first look at his big boy look. He sat perfect all by himself in the big boy chair and was pretty thrilled that everyone in the place was locked in on him. He sat perfectly still but moved his head to find whichever guy was talking- couldn't miss out on those tall tales. He thoroughly enjoyed the combing and clippers though. It relaxed him so much that at one point he nearly fell asleep sitting in the chair. He perked up at the end of the cut when he saw the handsome boy in the mirror and was even happier to have his first sucker. Was a big day for the little guy indeed. Happy first haircut, buddy!! You may not be officially, for real this time, a little baby anymore but you're still mama's sweet baby boy! (But yikes, you look 'old' now!) :)

 



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...