Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Double Dog Dare

Last week was Random Acts of Kindness Week. Did you do any random acts?
We did some (five actually) but I found it hard to actually do them and real easy to come up with excuses not to.

I thought about letting the lady at Target in front of me in line but I knew no one would think anything of it if I didn't. I wanted to buy the cupcake for the nice girl behind me in line at Scratch but I thought she might think that was weird.

I thought about doing a lot more than I did. But I didn't.

Then I thought it might be easier and make me more bold to act if I had some accountability. I thought this little corner of the interweb could provide that accountability for me. So I decided to blog about it.


My plan started easy enough. I would start blogging about RAK once a week the 30 weeks leading up to my 30th birthday. I got my calendar out and started counting back thirty weeks to see when this adventure would begin. Imagine my surprise when I realized I would be turning 3-0 in just 25 weeks.

MY TWENTIES END IN TWENTY FIVE WEEKS!


Ahem.

So in an effort to join the masses and complete 30 random acts of kindness for my 30th birthday, I'm going to count five acts from last week and forge ahead completing the next 25 in the upcoming weeks.

That's one random act of a kindness a week for the next 25 weeks and I double dog dare you* to join me!


My plan is to post one idea a week and report back the following week. I'd love for you to join in the fun and report back with me. I'll even add an extra fun random (okay not so random) act at the end of the journey to one of you that completes each week with me!
I hope to come up with ideas that can be completed no matter where you live and on a very low budget so the commitment isn't unreasonable for all of us. If there's an act that isn't possible for you to complete, you can improvise or come up with your own idea.

So whose going to join me?? Please don't make me insert the cricket sound here...... :)

Just to round off my list of thirty, here are the five we completed last week:
1. Let the gentlemen at Subway go ahead of us in line.
2. Take lunch to the hubby at work (I'm going to include 'not so random' random acts in here for people that you know and love).
3. Deliver a treat to a neighbor (or in our case, neighbors, R's coworkers, and everyone else we saw on Valentine's day).
4. Reach out to someone you haven't talked to in awhile.
5. Did a free photo session (I've been randomly and not so randomly doing this since the Olivia Act was first posted. Fun! Exhausting, but fun.)  :)



And starting with the weekly challenge:




RAKing at the Hickstionary # Six:**

Leave a note in the baby section letting a new mom know she's doing okay. (Stick it to a pack of small diapers, perhaps?)

Optional: Include a favorite verse or a quote or poem about motherhood and/or include a little gift card or treat for her.


I dare you to join me! (Please!) :) Then report back next week and let me know how it went!
I cant wait to hear about how it goes! Feel free to ask your friends to join us. I'd love to have a bunch of us spreading the love!


So will you take the dare? Leave a comment below to let me know you're all in (pretty please?!?).  :)





*I didn't want to commit a breach of etiquette and skip right to the triple dog dare! ;)

**Feel free to jumpstart your own list by completing five acts of your own. Feel free to borrow from my list above or these recommended ones.






Updated: I've had a few people ask how to leave a comment on the blog. All you have to do is click below the post where it says comments and type into the box. If you have Facebook, Twitter, or Google Plus, you can leave your comment with that. If you don't, you can click on the diqus logo (the D) and use Disqus to leave your comment. Let me know if you need more help! Thanks!! 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...