Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

splish splash

I'm really good at saying 'more on that later' when I think I'll whip out a post about something. I'm also really good about never getting back to the 'more' once it's 'later.' Good thing you guys are really good at reminding me. :)

By request- the rest of the guest bath. It's the room I spend the least amount of time in. Other than making sure the door is shut each morning (so B doesn't wander in), I pretty much forget this room is even there. Since I'm rarely in this space, it gets majorly neglected. 
When we moved in, we used the same bathroom stuff that we had in our apartment circa 2005. Is it just me or is that a long lifetime for a shower curtain?? Fast forward 8ish years and it was time for the shower curtain to go. (You know it's bad when R throws it out without being asked.) So with a starting budget of $0, I set off to redo the guest (and client) bathroom. 
Knowing we needed a new shower curtain, I knew the $0 budget wouldn't cut it. I thought about turning an old sheet into shower curtain but sitting down and getting anything done at the sewing machine is next to impossible these days. (Have you ever played the 'don't sew the toddler's fingers' game as the 1yo investigates the needle while you sew? It's even less fun than it sounds.) 
So I saved my 'fun money'* and headed out to Target. This bathroom is tiny and there is no natural light so I knew I wanted something light. White wouldn't work since all the fixtures are cream so I was worried my options would be limited. They were- there was only one cream shower curtain in the place. Thankfully, it was (almost, basically) exactly what I was looking for. I liked that it was completely off-white (with no pattern/color) but loved the little detail at the bottom. Shower curtain: Check. 
Next on the list- new towels. I know that doesn't fit the $0 budget either but for the last two years, I've turned the Christmas hand towels around in there and used them year round. Obviously, it was time for a change. I went to the cheapest section of towels and found the perfect color: hot coffee. I'm not a coffee drinker but I think coffee is black whether is it hot or not. These towels are not. They are more like a mix between slate and brown. Hot coffee with cream and sugar maybe? Towels: Check.
Once I put up the new shower curtain and towels, it was obvious our old artwork** and print wouldn't work. I didn't have anymore 'fun money' I was willing to part with for the project and I was too impatient to make anything artsy. I shopped the house instead, searching for off-white anything that might work. I had two major nail holes I wanted to hang something over so two items were on my 'shopping list.' I found the off-white 5x7s in the kitchen and snagged them. However, they were holding pictures of my niece and nephews cooking in the kitchen. Not exactly bathroom art. Fresh off my 'they see me rollin' art, I ran off to the computer to whip out another printable. 'Splish.' 'Splash.' And matching the towels and shower curtain perfectly? Perfect! I also stole another Lollywood Frame from the {cb}h studio. It held a picture of B but with the muted colors in the rest of the space, his bright picture wasn't cutting it. Back to the computer, this time on a hunt for picture of B splishing and splashing. I ran a 'hot coffee' action on it (yep, I just made that up) so it too matched the other colors perfectly and the art cost a total of $0. 
Finally, I wanted to have a few clean wash cloths. As I mentioned, it's the client restroom and I wanted to give clients the option of not having to share my husband's hand towel (which you can see I didn't take the time to fold up nicely again before pictures...oops). With literally no counter space or shelves, the back of the toilet was my next option. My MIL gifted me this cute little drawer at Christmas time so I grabbed it and stuck some wash cloths and lotion in for clients and other guests to use. Ta-da! There's our complete bathroom redo for almost $0 (other than that shower curtain and towels of course). ;) 






*My 'fun money' is not a real part of our budget. It comes from client tips [and my awesome hubby that sells his body (he donates plasma)]. So big shout out to my big tippers last month that helped me finally redo the bathroom! :)

**Our old artwork was a print with Galatians 5:22-23 on it. We've had it as long as the old shower curtain (approximately 8 years) and during that time I noticed at least 3,298 other people I know have that same verse in their bathroom. Is that strange to anyone else besides me?



I wish I had a before picture for you but if you've ever been to our house, you know this is a huge improvement for the little effort it took.  Have you been working on any home projects lately? 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...