Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Saturday, February 16, 2013

my funny [and slightly crabby] valentine

Once B was born, I decided I needed to learn how to bake cookies. It took me until last Valentine's day to feel confident enough to share my baked goods with the masses. This year when I mentioned my plans to do the same, R mentioned how it was now a Valentine's Day tradition. I like traditions. I loved the sound of it.


So on date night when we realized we were all out of butter and couldn't make cookies without it, we had to make a pit stop. And when I realized B's 15 month well baby check would keep me occupied in the morning I had to stay up late to bake the cookies. It was a tradition. :)

I stayed up late baking. I got B up early for his 15 month check. A 15 month check means shots. They also took some blood. B was not so happy about it. Our morning was off to a rough start. And the cookies I stayed up late to bake hadn't frosted themselves.

Enter a genius Heidi idea. (Are you keeping track? That's already the 2nd one this year.)

Time was short. I was bored with frosting cookies. Jars are cute. And anything you put in a jar automatically becomes cute by association.

And that's how the Hickstionary Decorate Your Own Cookies Kit in a jar came to be.

Pour some sprinkles in a jar. Carefully (or in my case, not so carefully) place the cookies on top of the sprinkles. Fill a zip lock bag with Wilton Buttercream Frosting. (Do NOT use any other kind. It just wont work. I promise.) Carefully fold the zip lock bag over so the zipper is hidden. Gently lay the bag on top of the cookies. Stick a clever note in saying it's a cookie decorating kit. (Leave out the part about how you're too lazy to decorate the cookies yourself.) Attach a picture of your funny Valentine. Take a picture of your funny Valentine holding on to the jar and looking cute. (Unless they just had shots then you should probably just save yourself the torture and skip that part.) Be too lazy to actually deliver the jars so hand them out to the neighbor kids as they get off the school bus and eat the rest of the cookies yourself. Okay, that part is optional but the rest of the directions are totally necessary.

Cute, right?











And yes- I did actually frost a few cookies. We took bags/boxes of cookies to every place we visited that day. In total, we delivered (or ate) 77 cookies (at last count). B's favorite stop was daddy's school. He LOVES running in the gym and he LOVES seeing his daddy so it might have been the happiest moment of his day. As soon as he properly greeted his daddy though, he spotted a neighbor girl (he is incredibly gifted at spotting the neighbor girls in a crowd and chasing them down). He ran after her as she was leaving class and made it out the door behind her. I tried to get a shot of him giving her a hug but by the time I grabbed my camera, he was off to check out something else. Probably another Valentine. ;)


Hope you had a happy and funny (not crabby) Valentine's Day!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...