Welcome to the Hickstionary, a landing spot for all things H family.
I'm Heidi. He's Rusty. And together we have our beautiful babe, Beckett and a furry menace, Dakota.
I mostly use this space to brag about how awesome the kid is, whine about how naughty the dog is & share an occasional deep thought.
Thanks for hanging out with us as we figure out this [blessed] life!

If you are looking for my photography blog (where words don't tend to fall out of my mouth nearly as freely), visit {captured by} heidi.

Friday, November 5, 2010

(Almost) Homemade Christmas

A friend asked me about crafty Christmas gifts. It made me realize she is way more on the ball than me!!!! With less than 50 days till Christmas, the countdown is on for a handmade (or at least, thoughtful) Christmas.

I searched my blog for ideas first.

Know any little ones?

These little hats are always easy, cute, and customizable. And who doesn't love em right now?

Cute onesies or little shirts require very little stitching (the shirts could even be done without stitching) and are super customizable.

My niece and nephew both love the super hero cape.

The Ugly Dolls are always cute!



Need something for a friend (or family member) of the taller variety?

Easy (and cheap) to make cake (or cookie) stands filled with homemade treats of course. Last time I was at Goodwill I wanted to stock up on the plethora of candlesticks they had that would be perfect for this project.

These ornaments are always fun to get little ones to make (as a top secret project, of course) then to give to their mommas, grandmas, etc.

Take an old window and turn it into something new. My favorite is the magnetic photo/card holder. And I get so many compliments on it when people come in the front door. It's cheap ($7.99) and people think it costs a lot more. You could make customizable magnets to go with it! (I still have a few windows from my sister's house if anyone needs one.) The smaller version of the magnet board can be made with a picture frame.

The necklace/jewelry holder is an easy craft. Every time I'm at my sister's I wish I would've made one for myself.

Do you sew? This scarf (no knitting required) got a lot of use last year. (I have a new idea for one this year but so far have been afraid to cut my fabric...)

A lot of people are getting DSLR cameras. Why not give them some bling for their camera strap?

No camera? How bout some bling for their neck? (You can borrow my stamping kit!)

A few years ago (we were either building our house or saving for a wedding- I just remember we were POOR), I took wine bottles, filled them with white Christmas lights, painted them with snowmen (and other winter scenes) and gave the decorated wine bottle to most of our family. Christmas decorations are nice because it's not something a lot of people care to spend a lot of money on and they are only out for a short time so they don't get too bored with it (and they don't feel guilty putting away your gift at the end of the season).

For my secret santa at work, I usually stitch together a corn pillow. Similar to the Wuv It- you can heat it and use it for aches and pains. I have a couple of the heat packs and love them!

Homemade goodies never get turned away. Put them on a cute serving tray or bowl and earn extra points. Last year I jarred up some homemade cocoa mix, attached the recipe and some Pampered Chef bamboo spoons (that I had 'earned' from a party) and my secret Santa was set.

Coupons are cheesy, but still thoughtful and super helpful. My cousin gave my uncle a meal a month one year. I was jealous. Maybe you aren't crafty but you can cook? Maybe you can't cook but love to clean? Maybe you don't like anything domestic but you can at least keep someone's kids alive while they go on a date night? Meal, house cleaning, and babysitting coupons aren't a bad idea.

Last year my mom got me a $5 subscription to Midwest Living. I don't get any other magazines so I really appreciate getting this in the mail (plus who doesn't love getting something other than a bill in the mail every once in awhile) and every time it comes I think of mom.

And of course I have to say that photos are always a good gift. The canvases are my most favorite right now (though not cheap or handmade) but there are less expensive routes to coming up with photo gifts. And when Shutterfly is giving away free photo books- that's a great time to get a photo book for someone.

Hopefully I'll have some new crafts after this year's Christmas.

Good luck with your handmade Christmas (or your shopping)!! Less than 50 days to go.....

This post has me wanting to host a homemade Christmas craft day! Who's in!?? :)



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...